A compilations of A Return To Loveliness posts from A Delight Life.
With Quiet Eyes


"I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.
I will look at cliffs and clouds
With quiet eyes..."

We had occasion to drive to the Atlanta area Saturday for my friend's mother's funeral. It was such a blessed home-going. My heart was stirred to hear the stories of this wonderful woman and
the influence she left with her family and friends.
She led a quiet life, filled with loving and learning of her LORD.
She nurtured her family and encouraged her friends.
I was deeply moved.


After the funeral we had a couple of errands to do. We drove toward the Mall of Georgia - a place I was quite familiar with -
for we had lived there some years back. 
I was amazed that on a Saturday afternoon there were so 
many people on the roads and at the stores. It was nearly overwhelming. I had an intense feeling of flight!


I told my husband and daughter - I can't wait to get home to
the country.
"Country girl" my daughter chimed. 
We did our errands walked around - I realized there was so much I missed not living near these stores I enjoy - I have heard so many
of you talk of Home Goods - well, there it was - combined
with TJMaxx. Fascinating. I felt like a foreigner in a different country.
Home, home, home...my heart cried!


I wanted to look at the beautiful things, I do so love to shop! But more intense was the desire to see my home and gardens.
Words from a song came to my mind.
"All I need I already have".


These words are from a spiritual perspective - but I was
put to mind at that moment that for me it applied to a 
physical perspective.
We drove around to find something to eat - so crowded were
the very many restaurants - don't people enjoy their family and homes on the weekends!~
Home, home, home... my heart continued to cry.


Once we found our food we set off - my husband still needed
to prepare for our service on Sunday...he was crying 
Home, home, home for very different reasons!
We drove down the roads that lead to home. Traffic becomes less - there are more trees.
A feeling of lightness came upon me.


We always look for our home when we turn down our street.
There she stands! Old, in need of some repair here and there.
There's always something needed to be done in an older house.


There were the birds, there was my fountain - there was the sights and the sounds of home.



I am watering my friend's garden. She has a very old home too and
a Pecan orchard in her backyard. The expanse of the sky opened to me was marvelous! The sights and the sounds of her beautiful yard filled my heart! I looked across the way and a deer was slowly walking through her neighbor's yard. The sky was filled with clouds tinged with the colors of the setting sun.



I looked at her corner of the world with Quiet Eyes...
I understood Edna St. Vincent Millay's sentiments.
I realized my daughter was right. I have changed
I am now a Country girl. What a blessing.
I don't need much more - 
All I need, I already have...


My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will wake early. I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations. For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds. Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.
Psalm 57:7-11