A compilations of A Return To Loveliness posts from A Delight Life.

I am excessively fond of a cottage; there is always so much comfort, so much elegance about them. And I protest, if I had any money to spare, I should buy a little land and build one myself, within a short distance of London, where I might drive myself down at any time, and collect a few friends about me and be happy. I advise everybody who is going to build, to build a cottage.
Jane Austen

English Cottage Style











During the month of March Victoria Magazine shared with us the charm of
English style. Of how Daphne Du Maurier's love for Cornwall inspired
beloved stories such as Rebecca and Jamaica Inn.




Of the times and trials of living in Jane Austin's time and how she
touched our hearts with her romantic heroines in stories like
Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility.





When envisioning England, I think of countrysides and towns that
haven't changed for centuries. Of tumbling, rambling gardens
both in stately Manors and humble Cottages.








Of Roses caressing homes and archways. Of walks in the 
countryside along streams and hills.






We are given opportunity over the years
to view such delightful places through
the pages of Victoria Magazine.




What defines English Cottage Style?

"English cottage decorating, is a wonderful, eclectic, casual, very personal way to express yourself. Choose your furniture and accessories with careful consideration of your own likes, comfort level, and budget. You want it to show your own history, personality and humor. Nothing has to match, though your color scheme should be carried throughout. Practicality reigns supreme."

I think of cozy rooms with overstuffed chairs situated
close to the fire - a side table ladened with a teapot and biscuits.
I think of blankets strewn over the side of the chair - 






 of Chintz
- of ecclectic pieces that have sentimental value.

There's much to be loved and admired about England
her people, her homes and her gardens.
I am thankful for the wonderful dedication
Victoria Magazine showed and for the opportunity to
sit in my comfy chair with tea by my side and my
volumes of March Victorias -to travel to a land where
cottages and gardens delight.


Credits: most photos taken from Victoria Magazine issues 1994, 1998.